One of my favorite things to do is shop at consignment and second-hand stores for home furnishings or clothing and accessories. Every day they put something new out. It could come from anywhere in the world. And it might be new or very old. You never know what bargain you might find.
One of the reasons I like to shop second-hand is it’s great for the environment. Items continue to be useful instead of ending up in the landfill.
Shopping in second-hand stores is a little like looking in your grandmother’s attic or going to an estate auction. I always wonder about the previous owners, the item’s history, and why it’s for sale.
There’s several shops in Des Moines – some are new and some have recently relocated. Here are a few that you’ll want to put on your must-stop list:
- Consign & Design, 2710 Ingersoll Avenue – Furniture, home decor, designer clothing
- ReStyle Consignment, 7662 Hickman Rd. – Clothing
- Repeat Boutique, 3913 Ingersoll – Furniture, clothing and accessories
- Barbara’s Consignment Boutique, 5601 Hickman Rd. – Clothing
- Encore, 2900 University Ave., West Des Moines – Furniture
- Fashion Junction, 2625 Beaver Ave. – Furniture, clothing
Where’s your favorite place to shop?
[tags] Iowa, Des Moines, Retail, Des Moines News[/tags]